Favorite Graphic Novels

I haven't read a ton of comics, and I'm pretty much only interested in clean, stand alone stories, not crazy complicated expanded universes. So there you go. Also, check out my page for superhero prose novels, which I prefer.


Watchmen
The first one I ever read because I loved the movie. I know everybody picks this one.


Marvels
Love the art, and it was cool to see the history of the universe unfold in front of a normal guy. But this, and the sequel, also highlight just how much I don't like giant aliens and crap, and that it's dumb for citizens to love the FF but fear the X-Men.




Civil War
Good setup for conflict and poses important questions for real-world superheroism, but holy crap there's a lot of characters I've never heard of.


Old Man Logan
Ridiculous in a fun, balls-to-the-wall kind of way. Would have been a way cooler movie than that boring Wolverine Goes To Japan crap.


1602
A pretty fun, but also a little ridiculous, take on what it would be like if the Marvel Universe had happened in the 17th century. Lots of interesting ideas to mash it in to history.


Hawkeye vs Deadpool
My introduction to Deadpool, who I now love. I've read a bunch of his zombie and "Kills Everything" series, but this little romp is still the funnest.









Wool
I love this series of novels, and the graphic novel was a great way to see it visualized. I think it's experienced best to read the books before the graphic novel.


Judge Dredd Complete Case Files 5
I've read a few collections of Dredd, but this is probably the best. Some of it is retro or not the greatest, but it's pretty solid overall. Maybe also check out the Best of Judge Dredd.








Superman Red Son
A fun "what if" story of baby Superman landing in the Soviet Union instead of the United States.